Friday, October 12, 2007

Star Trek's Leonard Nimoy Becoming Controversial Photographer

Best known as Star Trek’s Mr Spock, Leonard Nimoy is carving a reputation as a controversial photographer. He tells Simon Round why he has taken pictures of naked, obese women.

… “She was a very large lady. I’m not that good at guessing weight, but I would estimate she was 300 pounds. She came to my house at Lake Tahoe and, with my wife’s help, I photographed her in the nude. It was a new experience, a different experience. I was not used to looking at that type of body. I realised when I was done that she had the appearance of a Brancusi sculpture. I showed the images subsequently at a couple of exhibitions and people were extremely curious.”

Nimoy says that the reaction to the photographs in the US has been 95 per cent positive. The same cannot be said for his previous book, The Shekhina Project, published in 2002. Here, he photographed nude female models wearing such religious items as tefillin and talitot in overtly sexual poses…

Read the entire article on The Jewish Chronicle website.
Image © The Jewish Chronicle

No comments: