Sunday, September 27, 2009

Walking Around Woonsocket, RI


I was recently in Woonsocket, Rhode Island (should have never taken that left at Albuquerque) and found myself walking around the streets of “beautiful downtown Woonsocket”. No, it doesn’t sound right to me either. Actually the weather was very pleasant and I took advantage of the cloudy and 75 degree conditions. Since I wanted to pack lightly for my flight across the country, I left my favorite lens behind, the Sigma 70mm f2.8 EX DG Macro, and packed the Sony A100 kit lens instead; the quite capable Sony 18-70mm f3.5-5.6 AF.

The light zoom provided good results and the in-camera image stabilization of Sony DSLR gave me the additional stops I needed to hand-hold since I didn’t pack a tripod. I was actually in Rhode Island for business and didn’t even know whether I would get the opportunity to do a walkabout with the DSLR, and hate checking in baggage, so I wasn’t about to haul anything extra. Since the opportunity to shoot did occur, I thought I’d ignore all advice about creating HDR images and not use a tripod when bracketing exposures. Call me a rebel, or call me reckless, viewing the results is evidence that in-camera stabilization along with careful hand-holding can produce adequate HDR images; that and using the latest 3.2.3 version of Photomatix Pro from HDRSoft.

I’m happy with the results considering I only spent an hour walking around the historic buildings and streets of this small New England town. View the Woonsocket gallery.

No comments: