Monday, June 04, 2007

Apple iPhone Due June 29th, Let The Frenzy Begin!

At a suggested retail price of $600 the upcoming Apple iPhone will, in my situation, stay behind the display case glass while I’m out shooting with my Sony Alpha 100, and my company cell phone clipped to my belt. I don’t need my cell phone to take my pictures, play my tunes, organize my calendar and Simonize my car. But then again, I’m a self-proclaimed slacker. While today’s announcement that this new level of technology will be available to buyers on June 29th causing a resurgence of buzz and techno-geek hysteria, I’ll sit back and watch the chaos, comfortable in my archaic ways. In my crazed world you use a camera to take pictures and phone to take calls.

While I can appreciate the basic 1-2MP camera built into several cell phone models; my wife’s Motorola Razr is pretty cool to shoot and send quick grab shots of the kids doing silly things; I don’t really see the value of spending six Ben Franklins on this new camera phone and tied down to AT&T for exclusive cellular service, especially if you just dropped $350 on an 80GB iPod. But again, I’m a cheap slacker. I’m sure it will be friggin’ huge. Apparently both Apple and AT&T have received over a million inquiries about the product’s availability.

John Markoff has posted an online article for The New York Times regarding the upcoming frenzy. Read the entire article.
Image provided by Apple

No comments: