Tuesday, September 14, 2010

New Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 EX DG OS HSM Lens

Digital Photography Review is a great resource for digital camera and lens reviews.  I was stoked to see their recently posted review of the new Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 EX DG OS HSM lens as I’ve been in the market to upgrade to the Canon EF 70-200mm f4 USM.  While this is a very good, very sharp lens, the non-IS version is $700, and the IS (Image Stabilization) version is $1200.  I haven’t even realistically considered the f2.8 version of this Canon lens as the older version is around $1,899 and the new IS II version is $2,299.  The previous version of the Sigma f2.8 70-200mm lens, while economical, didn’t get a lot of respect in regard to AF speed and image quality, and was never really on my wish list to begin with.

However that has apparently changed with the new OS (Optical Stabilization) version.  Sigma has engineered this new lens from the ground up including an all-new optical design and the company’s silent ultrasonic-type HSM focusing.  My choices have suddenly increased now that this new f2.8 lens is available at around $1699, a full 600 bucks less than the Canon EF f2.8L 70-200mm IS II.  That is quite a bargain for this type of fast glass and focal length.  The lens is available in Canon, Nikon, Sony and Pentax mounts and according to dpreview it is quite a good, fast focusing lens that's a great improvement over the older non-Optical Stabilizer model.  I think I have a new lens on my ‘wish list’.

Read the lens review at dpreview.

No comments: