Sunday, September 14, 2008

New Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM

When ever I bring up to fellow photographers that I still like to use my trusty 50mm f1.7 lens, they give that puzzled "why not just use a zoom" look. Until the purchase of the Sigma 70mm 2.8 Macro (105mm on A100), the 50mm was my portrait lens of choice for the Sony Alpha 100. At 70mm on the DSLR it provides sharp images for both low light and narrow depth of field situations.

So I was pleased to see that Sigma recently released their new 50mm f1.4 EX DG HSM for all of the top camera mounts including Sony. Sigma has included features which distinguish this lens from those older designs, including an aspheric element for superior correction of aberrations, an oversized barrel design to reduce vignetting at wide apertures, a rounded diaphragm for attractive background blur, and 'super multi-layer' coating for reduced flare and ghosting.

Read an indepth review of the lens at dpreview.com

No comments: