Sunday, August 24, 2008

Venice Beach with the Sony A100

My wife and I recently spent a few days at Venice Beach in California, without the kids. Now that is what I call a real vacation.

I took along my reliable Sony Alpha 100 with the Sony 18-70mm f3.5-5.6 AF kit lens. We were going to do a lot of walking and bike riding up and down the boardwalk, and I didn’t want to be lugging around a big telephoto lens or multiple lenses. Popphoto.com gave the Sony kit lens high marks and there is no reason not to use it in a situation such as this.

Venice Beach is quite the unique place to vacation. During the day the eclectic scenery, including the beachs (and Muscle Beach which really isn't a beach), buildings, shops and cavalcade of characters, can be quite entertaining. However, after nightfall the mood changes and indoors was our preferred location. I’ve put together a short gallery of images from the few days we were there. If you haven’t had the chance to experience this distinctive area of the American West Coast, I recommend it. The people watching alone is worth the trip.

No comments: