Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Holiday Photo Shoots

Over the holidays I had several family photo sessions, most on-location at client homes. Here are a couple of samples. Adobe Photoshop shines in these situations since many times an on-location background doesn't quite provide exactly what I want. In this first image, due to the location of a nearby wall restricting camera placement, I couldn’t place the subject so the Christmas tree would fill the entire left side of the frame. This is when the Photoshop clone tool came to the rescue allowing me to widen the tree for a balanced image.

In the second sample, I liked the pattern on some pillows on a living room couch, so I positioned the subject in front of these and used a wide aperture to throw them out of focus. Then in post-production I used Adobe Photoshop to remove the lines between the piled up pillows to produce a cohesive and neutral background pattern.

Both images were taken with the Sony Alpha 100 DSLR, Sony 18-70mm f3.5-5.6 lens on a tripod with an AlienBees B800 strobe as the main light and two Quantaray slave flashes as Fill and Hair lights.


No comments: